Monday, September 12, 2011

Hmm! Well! Best Laid Plans and All That!

First of all, the Asus laptop actually had no DVD / CD Drive I discovered when I did a bit of research on the net last night.  So first thing this morning I rang Dick Smith and although Clint assured me, as he did yesterday, that the laptop did have a DVD Burner when I asked him to check he had to admit that in fact it didn’t have one after all.  So I told him I would have the Toshiba I’d been looking at instead.  No worries.
Toshiba Satellite L750
Later in the day I ‘persuaded’ Bill to take a run into Bairnsdale so I could pick up my new toy.  I was itching to try it.  Almost rang first to make sure they had one in stock, but felt sure it would have been mentioned this morning if they didn’t have any.  Guess what – they had none in stock, although Clinton hadn’t realised that when I rang.  Options – I could have the display model at a reduced price, or wait to get a new one.  Also, he’d have to reinstall Windows.  How long to reinstall, 1 1/2 hours.  No, not prepared to wait that long, especially with a not too happy husband in the car anyway.  If I didn’t want the trial versions of Norton and Office 2010 I could have it in 10 minutes.  I wasn’t interested in the trials, so that sounded like the go.  How reduced?  Only $20, so I refused.  Upshot was Clinton will get one from Traralgon on Saturday and deliver it to home on Sunday.  Only thing is I had to pay for it today, so they’ve got my money, I haven’t got the computer yet!  He said he’d try to organise a bonus for me, so I told him I’d been going to ask about a new wireless mouse as mine eats batteries.  He more or less said he’d get me one.  Hope he keeps his word.
So, wasted trip (petrol, time and an out-of-sorts husband) and I have to wait even longer for my new toy.  Only good thing is if I hadn’t gone in today I wouldn’t have found out until Friday that they didn’t have one.  Could still have had it Sunday I suppose so wouldn’t have been any worse off – but at least I know today that I can’t have it until Sunday.
These are the specs for my indulgence.
General Product Type: Laptops
Brand: Toshiba
Model: PSK2YA-04K010
Features Estimated Battery Life (hr): 4
Bluetooth Enabled: Yes
Digital Media Cards Reader: SD Memory Card
Hard Drive Speed (rpm): 5400
Graphics Card Brand: NVIDIA
Graphics Card Memory (MB): 1GB
Graphics Card Memory Type: Dedicated
Graphics Card Type: GeForce GT 525M
Networking: Gigabit Ethernet
Optical Drive Format: DVD Burner
Optical Drive Type: DVD Super Multi
Processor Brand: Intel
Processor Model: 2410M
Processor Speed (GHz): 2.30
Processor Type: Core i5
Installed RAM (GB): 4
RAM Expandable To (GB): 8
Ram Type: DDR3
USB Ports: 3
Disk Drives Hard Drive Size: 640GB
Interface Type: SATA
Screen Screen Definition: High Definition
Screen Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 16:9
Screen Resolution: 1366 x 768
Screen Size: 15.6″
Screen Type: LED
Audio Microphone: External
Speakers: Stereo Speakers
Networking and Internet Wireless Networking: IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11g
Connections and Expansion Audio Ports: Headphone mini jack, Microphone mini jack

No comments:

Post a Comment